Categories

Thursday, August 14, 2014

committed to prayer

Let me just start by saying...I really stink at blogging.
I always have such good intentions - whether anyone actually reads what I write, is beside the point - I long to be one of those cute, pinterest posting, recipe sharing, inspirational blogs you come across while using stumbleupon.com...

Apparently, unless I up my game a little, this isn't going to happen.
But that's okay!

Let me tell you friends - Our God is great! 
Some of you may already know this, where as others don't agree. But let me tell you why I know He is.

A few months ago I was having a really hard time at my job. I was frustrated for various reasons, but I liked the work and I knew I was working for a great company. My husband and I talked about it and we decided to pray for guidance. We went to The Lord in prayer and said show us, lead us, guide us. If this is the place for me that He would take my frustrations and worries from me and that I would be content. 

All while this was happening a few other things were going on at the same time:
First:
A few miles down the road my mother in law was talking to a client of hers, (she owns her own hair salon) she told me they had just sort of stumbled into a conversation about work, when the woman shared with her that she's been wanting to hire someone for her company, but not really felt like it was the right timing. That she had been praying about advertising for this position but didn't feel that was right path to take. She started describing the position to my mother-in-law who told her that it sounded like something I may like to do, so she gave her my number. 
Also:
Our pastor preached on prayer the next Sunday. He said alot of things during this sermon that stuck with me, but one in particular was that 'we are ordinary people who can pray to an extraordinary God. That we have full access to God anytime we want. 
Ephesians 3:20 says 'He can do immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine.' (paraphrase) 
Our pastor asked if you really believe that He can do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine? Do you? We need to believe that God answers prayers. He is listening and He hears you. Sometimes the answer is yes, and sometimes it's no...but he always answers.
He also said to get specific - to go to God and pray very specific prayers. ( I about have to pray for specific things, I ask God for Him to make it really obvious for me because I'm a pretty oblivious person. If you ever get the chance, ask Austin about the time I walked past a bouquet of flowers about 20 times before he finally pointed them out to me) 

The following Monday hubs and I were sitting at the table for dinner, discussing our day. I expressed to him how I really hoped the lady his mom gave my number to called me. He suggested I give his mom a call and ask for her number instead. I instinctively said no, that I've prayed about this and I trust that if this is what God wants, she'll call me. He agreed and we left it at that...I kid you not, 10 minutes later my phone rang - and it was her! She invited me to come for a introduction interview that upcoming Friday!
All week long that week, we prayed HARD, and very very specific prayers. We knew that if I chose to change jobs a specific amount of money had to be there, that they would understand wanting to work a 2 week notice, we prayed that if God wanted something different for me that it would be easy, that all the doors would be open. 
When I went for that introduction interview, everything we prayed for - happened. Every specific prayer we prayed, was granted. 
I was floored. I had an overwhelming feeling that I was taken care of. That's what God wants - for us to let Him take care of us. After all, He is our Father.

Ya'll - it's SO EASY to think to ourselves 'I got this, I don't need any help' (that's me in a nut shell  **insert Miss Independent lyrics**) But let me say - it's so much easier to give it to God and not worry with it anymore. Trust that He is for you. He wants you to come to Him with everything. Every request, every situation, every fear, every worry, every good news! He wants us to trust Him, confide in Him, and talk to Him. 

Our God is great and 'every good and perfect gift comes from Him' (James 1:17, again paraphrased).
I encourage anyone reading this to know, God is for you, and He wants to hear from you. Commit to praying and conversing with your Father in all situations- even if you haven't in a really, really long time. 
Why not now? He's ready for you, just like He always has been.

xoxo,
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment